diner en blanc, philadelphia
Since I’ve been trying to get invited to the Diner en Blanc celebrations in Paris and New York for years now, I was overjoyed to find a new Diner en Blanc pique-nique coming our way in August! Here are some photos from the event.
How fabulous! My day finally came when I can fest with others who splurge on smelly cheese and appreciate the timelessness of white as a fashion statement. Diner en blanc is the most refined event to come to Philadelphia since Tory Burch’s birth in 1966.
Diner en Blanc is all the rage because of its secrecy. Invite only, you must pack a picnic. No jest: large baskets, cumbersome tupperware and champagne glasses encouraged! The location is kept quiet (a pop-up party at City Hall? Rittenhouse Square? Art Museum steps?) until the final moment, when throngs of picnic-goers show up basking in the glory of inclusion.
Let me (french wanna-be, cheese enthusiast, lover of clean, classy fashion) be your guide to Diner en Blanc Philadelphia (the above sandwhich was created by me during a real, Parisian picnic at the Cinema en Plein Air).
The Ultimate Philadelphia DEB picnic basket:
- Baguette: Le Bus (whole wheat just doesn’t cut it the way sugary fatty white baguette does, but they have some bangin’ multigrain baguettes)
- Cheese: DiBruno and Brothers, Burrata Cheese (they even have a video)
- Charcuterie: Claudio’s Prociutto de Parma
- Headhouse Farmers Market: Jersey ‘Mater (Heirloom)
- Olive Oil: Garces Trading Company
- Guilty Pleasure Picnic Item: Fried Chicken from Federal Donuts or my homemade choc chip cookies
- Champagne: Veuve has always been a personal favorite (donations accepted)
Please, I am willing to do anything to attend this event (baking? picnic basket building? I’ll even use my trusty Schwinn to transport your items the night of the event to avoid mussing your white frocks!). Send love to a wanna be Frenchie in Philly. Invite her to DEB and make her dreams come true.